DuPage County DUI Lawyers Who Improve the Odds for You
The statistics are clear that driving under the influence of alcohol (or drugs) greatly increases the risk of a crash. To avoid accidents, the state of Illinois has very tough drunk driving laws and dedicates substantial resources to DUI enforcement.
The law offices of Michael T. Norris, Ltd. and John W. Callahan, Ltd., provide aggressive DUI defense in DuPage County. This county has a disproportionately high number of DUI arrests — they are out to get you.
Our proven trial lawyers are here to protect and fight for those accused of drunk driving offenses. Call 1-877-335-6693 for a free initial consultation and prompt response.
Illinois Drunk Driving Statistics: Who Gets Arrested for DUI?
More than 48,000 people were arrested for DUI in Illinois in 2008 — an average of 130 every day. DuPage County is notorious for heavy DUI enforcement, especially in Naperville and other hot spots. At 5,300 DUI arrests, DuPage County alone accounted for one out of every nine drunk driving cases statewide. Another 1,700 DUI arrests occurred in Kane County.
The "Average" Illinois DUI Offender:
Source: Illinois Secretary of State
The Statistics Are Grim: The Right Attorney Can Change the Outcome
Of those 48,000 Illinois DUI cases, the Secretary of State reports the following results:
The Criminal Charges
— 31 percent resulted in convictions (23 percent of first offenses and 75 percent of repeat offenses).
— 63 percent received court supervision (probation).
— 6 percent received other dispositions, including dismissals, acquittals or convictions for lesser charges such as reckless driving.
Administrative License Suspension
— 92 percent of all drivers arrested for DUI lost their driving privileges (including those who refused the breath test).
Our experienced DUI attorneysregularly defy these statistics. We have a record of notable DUI case results on the criminal charges, even when our clients faced felony prosecutions. We have also had good success in motions to fight Summary Statutory Suspension and in license reinstatement hearings.
To find out how we can help you, call us toll free at 1-877-335-6693 or contact us online for a free and confidential consultation. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day.
Drunk Driving by the Numbers: Other Notable DUI Stats
- 12,000 — Annual deaths attributed to drunk driving nationwide
- 400 — Fatal alcohol-related crashes in Illinois each year
- 1.4 million — Drunk driving arrests in the U.S. each year
- 50 to 75 percent — Estimated people who continue driving while suspended for DUI
- 64 percent — Estimated reduction in repeat DUIs from ignition interlock laws
- 65 percent — Americans who support ignition interlock
- 87 percent — Americans who support sobriety checkpoints
- 49,527 — Three-time DUI offenders in Illinois
- 5,659 — Five-time DUI offenders in Illinois
- 5.6 percent — Motorcyclists who are under the influence (.08)
- 0.3 percent — Minivan drivers who are under the influence
- $16,000 — Total average cost of a DUI conviction, according to the Illinois Secretary of State